- The Rights and Wrongs of Brazil's Forest Monitoring Systems. Conservation Letters. 10:495-496. 2017
- Pervasive transition of the Brazilian land-use system 2014
- Agriculture in Brazil: impacts, costs, and opportunities for a sustainable future 2010
- Role of Brazilian Amazon protected areas in climate change mitigation.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 107:10821-10826. 2010
- Indigenous lands, protected areas, and slowing climate change.. PLoS biology. 8:e1000331. 2010
- Environment. The end of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon.. Science Science. 326:1350-1351. 2009
- Mortality of large trees and lianas following experimental drought in an Amazon forest.. Ecology. 88:2259-2269. 2007
- Plants use macronutrients accumulated in leaf-cutting ant nests.. Proc Biol Sci. 274:315-321. 2007
- Tropical Deforestation and the Kyoto Protocol. Climatic Change. 71:267-276. 2005
- Amazon drought and its implications for forest flammability and tree growth: a basin-wide analysis. Global Change Biology. 10:704-717. 2004
- The effects of partial throughfall exclusion on canopy processes, aboveground production, and biogeochemistry of an Amazon forest. Journal of Geophysical Research. 107. 2002
- Road paving, fire regime feedbacks, and the future of Amazon forests. Forest Ecology and Management. 154:395-407. 2001
- Sensitive development could protect Amazonia instead of destroying it.. Nature Nature. 409:131. 2001
- Large-scale impoverishment of Amazonian forests by logging and fire. Nature Nature. 398:505-508. 1999
- Achieving zero deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon: What is missing?
- Nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of biomass growth in a tropical secondary forest. Ecological Applications.
- Nutrient loss and redistribution after forest clearing on a highly weathered soil in Amazonia. Ecological Applications.